Red Dragon teaches that the development of powerful technique is derived from the application of the following five principles:
- Concentration: Delivering impact to the smallest target area, thereby concentrating the force and maximizing the effect, while focusing all of one’s energy at the point of impact using Kihap (yell).
- Reaction Force: Using reciprocal action during the execution of a technique to assist in maintaining balance and increasing force.
- Equilibrium: Maintaining proper stability during the execution of techniques.
- Breath Control: Exhaling at the point of impact to tighten muscles, flatten the stomach, and increase the speed of delivery.
- Speed and Mass: Increasing the application of force by either accelerating the speed of the technique or by putting more body behind the delivery of the technique while using the correct hand or foot position.